Equipment - From Dusk Till Dawn 2012
Every team and competitor in Dusk till Dawn adventure race should carry mandatory equipment. Apart from all-time mandatory equipment, there are items required only on specific stages (i.e., kayak equipment is required only on kayaking stage). Also, some items are required to be carried on per team (pt), per person (pp) basis, per boat (pb) basis.
This is not advised equipment, every team/competitor must comply with mandatory equipment list and be ready to present the equipment at registration or on the course once requested by officials. Missed mandatory equipment lead to time penalties.
All time equipment
- First aid kit – pt. (one crepe bandage, adhesive tape, wound dressing and six adhesive dressings)
- Whistle – pp.
- Compass – pp.
- Water resistant torch with sufficient batteries – pp.
- Rear red light with sufficient number of batteries for the entire night, always switched on- pp.
- Wind and water proof jacket, Gore-Tex type is recommended – pp.
- Thermal top long sleeve – pp.
- Thermal bottom - pp.
- Buff or beanie - pp.
- Full finger gloves - pp.
- Survival blanket – pp.
- Water bottle or bladder minimum 0,7 l – pp.
- Set of maps, descriptions with listed emergency contacts (provided by organization) – pt.
- Mobile phone (Telstra) in waterproof bag with full charge switched on during the race – pt.
- Race bib (provided by organisers should be on the top of all clothes all the time except transition)-pp.
- GPS with drybag - pt. ( GPS must be capable of entering location and indicating distance and direction to the entered location. GPS will be sealed during registration and should be used for emergency purposes only. Sportwatch GPS is not accepted)
Only MTB stages
- Mountain bike – pp.
- Helmet – pp.
- Repair kit – pt. (minimum two spare cameras, pump and tire levers)
- Bike computer
Only kayaking stage
- Kayak – pt. (any type of kayaks or surf-skis are accepted. Both double and single kayaks are accepted). Kayaking equipment could be supplied as part of your entry. Please note, kayaking equipment is not provided by default, you need to answer 'Yes' to the 'Do you want kayaks to be provided?' question during registration! Provided kayaks will be 2xFinn Endorfinn. More advanced kayaks could be rented at PeakAdventure >>> and will be transported to the start place. Please contact Jarad Kohlar to find a right boat for you.
- PFD – pp.
- Double paddle – pp.
- Footwear – pp. (Neoprene socks are accepted)
- Safety lights illuminating both front and back of every kayak - pb.
Apart from mandatory equipment above it is recommended to look through the suggested equipment list:
- Sufficient nutrition - pp. During the race it is recommended to take one gel or powerbar per 40 min. This could be used for estimation purposes only, and personal requirements and preferences are vary significantly
- Electrolyte drinks preventing dehydration - pp. For December Victorian weather it is likely that more than half a liter per hour per person will be required. Dehydration is a serious possibility and it is highly recommended to have special sport drinks powder with you.
- Long tights - pp.
- Extra warm clothes in Transition area, you can really get cold out there during the night.
- Gaiters - pp.
- Waterproof map case - pt.
- Map board – pt.
- Full repair kit – pt. (in addition to minimal list it is advised to have multi tool, chain breaker, spare chain links, patches)
- Bike computer – pt.
- Bike gloves - pp.
- Waterproof map case – pt.
- Dry bag – pp.
Sport watch with GPS is allowed.
Please note, equipment list is subject to change. Organizers will advise all registered participants via email. Please fill in correct email during registration.